Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 2004 02:53:04 -0400
From:      "Haulmark, Chris" <chris@sigd.net>
To:        "Ray Davis" <ray@carpe.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: php4 with gd?

> > >=20
> > > Can someone please give me a clue?  I thought I remembered that
> > > there was a text gui asking what options we want, but it doesn't
> > > appear anymore.
> >=20
> > Have you looked in the ports collection of lang/php4-extensions?
>=20
> Bingo!  This seems to be the correct answer!
>     cd /usr/ports/lang/php4-extensions
>     make WITH_GD=3Dyes WITH_GETTEXT=3Dyes install
> does the trick!  Or one can leave off the WITH_* vars and select them
> in the text gui.
>=20
> Life would be so much easier if the php4 make and pkg-descr would
> mention where to look for extentions.  How is someone supposed to
> know this exists (without monitoring all freebsd mailing lists)?
>=20

There is an entry in /usr/ports/UPDATING:

20040719:
  AFFECTS: users of PHP
  AUTHOR: ale@FreeBSD.org

  The old lang/php4 and lang/php5 ports have been splitted into 'base' =
PHP,
  PEAR, and shared extensions to allow more flexibility and add new =
features.
  Upgrading your current PHP installation will result in a 'base' PHP
  installation (no PEAR and no extensions).
  PEAR can be found in the new devel/php4-pear and devel/php5-pear =
ports, while
  the set of PHP extensions to install can be choosen via the meta-ports
  lang/php4-extensions and lang/php5-extensions, or installing singular
  extensions individually.
  If you have a previous php.ini configuration file, be sure to comment =
out
  the extension_dir parameter, since the correct path is statically =
compiled
  into the PHP binary.
  For an overview of the modules used with the old PHP binary, use
  the command "php -m".

This is why it is always recommended for all FreeBSD users to monitor =
the
/usr/ports/UPDATING after they do cvsup of their ports system.  Any =
major
changes in the ports tree will and should appear in the UPDATING file.

--
Chris Haulmark
System Admin. Freelancer