Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 1996 16:30:36 -0600 (CST)
From:      john@starfire.mn.org
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Cc:        neal@pernet.net, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   modems for dial-in/dial-out on FreeBSD(UNIX) (was: PPP/LCP sensing getty)

This discussion has generalized beyond PPP/LCP now -- this information
is generally useful to anyone supporting dial-in connections, and
especially those sharing modems and lines for in and out.  In fact,
Joe and I ought to prepare something on this for the FAQ, I suspect!

> > I tried using the patches, but they have one small problem.  My modems
> > stupidly send a connect message in a way that getty sees as a username.
> > So it sits at Password: waiting for test, but only getting LCP.  The other
> > times I got it to work(with different modems), it worked like a charm.
>
> Turn off result codes.
>
> ATZ
> ATQ1&W
>
> Also set the modem to do a reset on DTR transition.  Then if you need to
> dial out, you can use "ATQ0" in your dial string to force the modem to
> provide result codes for the dialer program.

This is good, but if your modem supports something like the "Q2"
command in which results are supressed (quiet mode) only in answer
mode, this is even better.  Then you don't have to issue the "ATQ0"
in the dial string or init string to dial out, nor guarrantee that
the modem was fully reset on each transition (though doing a reset
on the DTR transition is usually a win, anyway).  I don't know how
many modems support this, but US Robotics Couriers and Sportsters
do, and they are quite popular.  If your modem doesn't support Q2
or something similar, then Joe's suggestion is the way to go.

> No modem I have ever seen works out of the box correctly with a UNIX host
> for both in- and outdial applications.

Strongly concur! :-)

		 John Lind, Starfire Consulting Services
E-mail: john@starfire.MN.ORG	    USnail: PO Box 17247, Mpls MN  55417