Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 17:00:39 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Sascha Schumann <sas@www.schell.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD or LINUX??? - Which one should I choose?

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Sascha Schumann wrote:

> Nope. You need different schedulers for different purposes. The only
> uniformity you will see in Linux is its plurality. See man
> sched_setscheduler for more info (or dl the rt-tools from sunsite).

Thanks for the hint - I'll take a close look ...

> > > Linux DID NOT start from Minix. Linux was complety written from scratch.
> > > You should read the comp.os.minix newsgroup archiv where Tanenbaum and
> > > Linus started their first argument...
> >
> > I did not want to say that Linux contains Minix code - I don't know.
> > But as far as I know Linus T startet the development of Linux on an Minix
> > system.
>
> Sorry for becoming nervous. I also tend to believe that if you reimplement
> something, you will avoid previously done mistakes. That's learning. If
> you don't want to become incompatible to the rest of the world, you choose
> a commonly accepted interface - that's why it became so popular among
> students and researchers around the world.

Let's hope FreeBSD *and* Linux will continuously become better and always
be alive in the years to come. We need alternatives especially to that
commercial OS which is a great threat to the whole UNIX world - I'm sure
you'll agree!

Konrad Heuer

// Gesellschaft fuer wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH
// Goettingen (GWDG), Am Fassberg, D-37077 Goettingen, Germany
//
// kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de