Date:      Mon, 01 Mar 1999 07:50:48 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        chris@calldei.com
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cobalt blames linux for their security problems!

Chris Costello wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 26, 1999, Julian Elischer put this into my mailbox:
> >

> > http://www.wired.com/news/news/technology/story/18109.html
> >
> > There's a good idea.. use a free OS and then blame it for your problems..
> >
> > BTW did I tell you about the huge security holes we got from BSD (only
> > kidding)
>
> <sarcasm>
>    FreeBSD is a bad OS.  This ASM code causes a memory fault!
> </sarcasm>

This simple C program:

int main()
{
    int *badboy = 0;

    *badboy = 3;

    return *badboy;
}

when run on FreeBSD produces:

wes$ ./a.out
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

It runs fine on DOS, so FreeBSD must be wrong.  Can you send me free
hardware to fix it?  Alternatively, you should upgrade all InterJets
in the field to MS-DOS 2.11 so this program won't crash anymore.