Date:      Thu, 15 May 1997 07:52:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alec Kloss <alec@d2si.com>
To:        stick11@razorlogic.com (Stick)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, is it for me?

Stick is responsible for:
> From owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG Thu May 15 07:35:55 1997
> Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 05:02:53 -0700
> From: Stick <stick11@razorlogic.com>
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: FreeBSD, is it for me?
> Sender: owner-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

> Hello,
>
> I have been looking through your FreeBSD web site trying to answere a
> question i have but i am finding that i can't answer this question by
> myself. I hope that you could answer my question or possibly point me in
> the right dirrection. My question(s) is:
>
> I was thinking of hosting my own Internet site using my computer, is
> that possible using FreeBSD? If so what else will I need to make this
> possible?
        You'll need some way to connect to the internet--on
        the cheapest end, you'll need a modem, a spare
        telephone line (or use your voice line if you don't
        mind tying it up) and an account with some sort of
        service provider.  A simple dynamic-ip dialin will
        typically run you $20/month.  If you can dial into
        your school with dynamic-ip, that'll work too.

> The university that i am attending run three unix base systems for their
> web server, e-mail, and other stuff.  If i had FreeBSD, is there a way
> that i connect to their computers?
        There are lots of ways to connect FreeBSD to lots of
        other computers.  You can use (among other things):
                NFS
                Appletalk
                SMB (Windows networking)
                telnet
                ftp
                POP (post office protocol)
                HTTP (world-wide-web)
                X11
        and who knows how many other ways.

> The classes i am taking at this university have my using unix on
> occasions, could i use FreeBSD on my computer to learn more and do some
> of my work on my computer rather than using Hyper Terminal (W95) to
> connect to the Universities computers?
        FreeBSD comes with a C compiler (of course) and you
        can get many other tools, as I recall, the computer
        I'm sitting at has C, C++, fortran, scheme,
        smalltalk, TeX, metafont, and a few other languages.
        I've had very good luck compiling C and C++
        assignments on FreeBSD, SunOS, and IRIX without any
        changes to the source code.

> Thank you for your time! =-)
>
> Stephen "Stick" Hazen
>
> sjh10@axe.humboldt.edu
> stick11@razorlogic.com
> http://www.humboldt.edu/~sjh10

        It sounds to me like FreeBSD could very possibly be
        for you.