Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 15:26:29 -0800
From:      JJ Behrens <jj@nttmcl.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re: Panic on 'kldunload snd'

> If a PR is raised for this I would be interested to see the outcome. I
> had a similar problem a while back when my machine unloaded the
> nvidia module that was part of the nvidia freebsd initiative.
>
> Since the module was only experimental I just changed back to the
> standard XFree86 one. In all cases though it only paniced the system
> when it was unloaded..
>
> so yeah. me too for the problem =)
>
> Michael Ross
> satare@optusnet.com.au

I've heard it said on this list that:

FreeBSD is susceptible to kernel panics when the super user removes kernel
modules that are still being used.  Apparently, there are other BSD's
that don't have this problem.  Hopefully this will be fixed one day.  I'm
only sending you this email to acknowledge that your situation is a
symptom of a more global problem.

If I'm incorrect about the above, please feel free to correct me.  As I said,
I'm just regurgitating what I've read on this list.

Best Regards,
-jj

--
Users of C++ should consider hanging themselves rather than shooting their
legs off--it's best not to use C++ simply as a better C.