Date:      Mon, 16 Jan 1995 16:06:11 -0600
From:      Terry Lee <terry@uivlsi.csl.uiuc.edu>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Faster tape throughput

	I've been experimenting with "buffer"; it is similar to "dd" but
enables my wt tape drive to actually stream.  There is also "ddd", though I
haven't tested it on FreeBSD yet.  I imagine either would be useful for st
tape drives, too.  It would be great if we could get either author's permission
to put their program on the cpio.flp floppy.  This would speed up tape
installation of FreeBSD.  Are others interested in this?  Both program requires
shared memory and semaphores.  Would enabling them in the GENERIC kernel be
a problem for 4MB configurations?

	The author of "buffer" is Lee McLoughlin (L.McLoughlin@doc.ic.ac.uk).
The author of "ddd" (comp.sources.unix v15i084) is Tapani Lindgren
(nispa@cs.hut.fi).

					Terry Lee
					terry@uivlsi.csl.uiuc.edu