Date:      Mon, 07 Apr 2003 11:46:24 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Gnome 2.2 failed after port update on CURRENT

> From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
> Date: 07 Apr 2003 12:28:18 -0400
>
> Okay, problem one is that your bitstream-vera package seems to be
> missing or bad.  This is probably why your fonts look so screwy.
>
> Reinstall this port.  Also, remove Modules xie and pex5 from your
> XF86Config file.  It also looks like gconfd-2 is failing to start.  Read
> the error.  It gives you quite a few things to try.  A portupgrade -r
> gconf2 might fix this.
>
> If this is on -CURRENT, make sure you've updated to the latest -CURRENT.

The bitstream-vera, xie, and pex5 messages are not relevant, although
this did make me take a minute to fix my XF86Config file.

Re-installing gconf2 fixed up a LOT of errors, but I'm still dead in the
water because I can't start up a gnome-terminal. I get a couple of other
errors, but nothing meaningful except :
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1

I get the same message if I try to start "System Log". Most apps start
up fine.

I always seem to get this, but it is unchanged since before the melt-down:
** (gnome-panel:959): WARNING **: Unable to load panel stock icon 'go'

This one tells me I need to rebuild something, but I don't know what.
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/lib/libc_r.so.5: Undefined symbol "__thr_jtable"

Before updating several gnome items, I got a lot of these and gnome
would not even start. Now there is only one left. Wish I had a clue as to
what it is that is making the bad call.

So I'm getting closer. I'm just not quite there.

Maybe I need to re-install the whole gnome 2.2 base set.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)