Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 21:03:36 +0000
From:      setantae <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: perl-5.6.1 still FORBIDDEN?

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 03:47:06PM -0300, Fernan Aguero wrote:

[Fernan's entire post included as I'm cc'ing this to -stable as well]

> [ please CC me since I'm not subscribed to the list]
>
> I am running FreeBSD-4.3 (RELENG_4_3)
>
> I see that perl-5.6.1 is still marked as FORBIDDEN in the ports.
>
> However from browsing the archives of this and other lists I
> understand that the problem with 5.6.1 is that some modules don't work
> with this version (mostly due to bad checking on the perl version).
>
> I've seen mentioned that perl 5 goes deep into the 'base' system, so
> it is not advisable to install 5.6.1 over 5.00x.
>
> Is this still valid?
>
> Is this related to the problems with modules, or is this related to
> other reasons?
>
> Is it safe to have both versions installed together?
> Perhaps it is safer to have /usr/local/perl56 and use the following at
> the top of each script:
> #!/usr/local/perl56/bin/perl ?
>
> (would I have to install all modules again in the new location?)
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Fernan

I was thinking about this the other day.

I think it might be possible to work around this situation by :

1) Change every perl script in the base system so that the shebang line reads
#!/usr/bin/perl5.00503
instead of just plain old "#!/usr/bin/perl";

and

2) Install perl5.6.1 but tell that you don't want to include any older perl
libraries in the @INC array.

I haven't done any investigation into this whatsoever (in fact this is the
first time I've been near a computer since I thought of this), but I can't
immediately think of any reasons why this would be unfeasible.

Anyone ??

Ceri

--
keep a mild groove on