Date:      Tue, 1 Feb 2000 17:50:18 -0500
From:      Kenn Martin <kmartin@infoteam.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   controlling local boot sequence

Looking for some tips on controlling local startup sequences when
using MySQL.  I imagine that other ISPs have similar configurations.

FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE machines, scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d (some
created by /usr/ports/* and some myself).  Script names end in .sh,
are executable, and are named starting with numbers so as to
attempt to control sequencing.

The problem we are experiencing is that at boot time, MySQL is being
loaded but other packages which depend on MySQL, such as Apache and
ICRADIUS, often fail.  These packages are probably starting before MySQL
finishes its initialization.  I know the /etc/periodic files are named
with a numbering scheme so I tried that in /usr/local/etc/rc.d without
any consistent success.  Packages that fail to start during the boot
process can be started manually using these exact same scripts.

It appears that I can merge the multiple scripts into one master script,
but that doesn't exactly seem like the proper way to handle the problem.

How do others handle these type of dependencies?

kenn