Date:      Sun, 25 Jul 1999 22:44:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      <jkoshy@FreeBSD.org>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        sef@freebsd.org, jkoshy@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: deny ktrace without read permissions?

jk> Yes, but /if/ KTRACE is present, today's code allows you to bypass
jk>the lack of read permissions on an executable.  That shouldn't be
jk>allowed.  The current behaviour could be regarded as a security
jk>hole actually :).

sef> No more so than core dumps do.

Yes, but an application can protect itself from an inadvertent core dump.
It can't (today) against being ktrace'd.

sef> I vote strongly against this change.

Noted, thanks.

I will summarize the result of the discussion in a followup to kern/3546.

Regards,
Koshy