Date:      Sat, 2 Nov 1996 15:45:23 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, kdupuis@dcs.stu.rpi.edu
Subject:   Re: 3c590 problem

J Wunsch stands accused of saying:

> > > (I'm not sure what makes you think that a '590 is the only card you can
> > >  use to sustain that sort of throughput; you could do it with an NE2000...)
> >
> > There are multiple cards in the machine, and that kind of traffic
> > multiplied will kill an ISA bus.  Peaks of 1MB/sec are quite common.

Fair enough; that justifies a PCI card of some description.

> Still no justification for the 3Com one.  Re-read Michael's mail: he
> suggested you using a DEC-2104[01] based card.  In case you don't
> know, they are also PCI parts.

... and perhaps I should have been clearer.  I suspect that the 590 as
a card is quite OK, but a number of Unices have problems with them,
and the 'vx' driver isn't quite up to snuff yet.  If this sytem is
mission-critical (and it sounds like it is), the extremely robust and
well-tested 'de' driver, and the very cheap cards that it supports
are a more sensible choice.

(Note to australian consumers : KTX are selling a Tulip-based card that
 can be had for around AU$80 ex; we now have a few of these and they
 work just fine. BNC/UTP, model is (IIRC) EN5100)