Date:      Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:55:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@mail.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.0-CURRENT (SNAP004) on AMD64 fails, alternatives?

O. Hartmann writes:
 > Hello.
 > I try to boot 6.0-Current from the most recent June2005 snap built and
 > kernel fails due to detaching and ataching hard drives connected to the
 > nForce4 SATA controller (ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe with Maxtor 6MO200B and
 > Samsung 2004C drives).
 >
 > I read about problems with SATA/ATA in this list so I don't want to do a
 > error report. I would like to know whether there is an alternative way
 > to get a maybe fixed boot image of 6.0-CURRENT?

What I did was to build a -current kernel on another machine, and
netboot that via PXE (my motherboard calls it the "Nvidia Boot Agent")

Make sure that you copy the mfsroot.gz from the CDROM into your
diskless boot area, and put this into the loader.conf in your diskless
boot area:

mfsroot_load="YES"
mfsroot_type="mfs_root"
mfsroot_name="/boot/mfsroot"
vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/md0c"

Make sure to go to the shell prompt and copy the good kernel onto the
machine after the installation, but before rebooting.  To do this,
you'll need a network.  I had problems with the nve0 adapter (though
PXE worked great), and ended up switching to the sk0 adapter.  This is
annoying, because linux & solaris hate the sk0 adapter and like the
nforce ethernet better..

Good luck!

Drew