Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 2014 06:26:31 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Jon Radel <jon@radel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Maybe somebody knows a good Bourne Shell book or tutorial?

On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 16:45:57 -0500, Jon Radel wrote:
> On 12/11/14, 3:02 PM, Alex Stangl wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 09:44:44PM -0800, Yuri wrote:
> >> There are some quite tricky areas and questions about sh and hard to
> >> find information.
> >>
> >> Anybody knows of some good book that would cover all essential issues of
> >> Bourne shell programming?
> > Classic Shell Scripting (from O'Reilly) is good.
> >

> I would second this.  It's my current go-to reference when writing a
> script where
> I actually care about POSIX and the script being used for more than a day.

In this case, especially when you care about portability
and interoperability, I'd like to suggest reading the
following two articles about how to deal with filenames:

David A. Wheeler:

Fixing Unix/Linux/POSIX Filenames:
Control Characters (such as Newline), Leading Dashes, and Other Problems

http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/fixing-unix-linux-filenames.html

David A. Wheeler:

Filenames and Pathnames in Shell:
How to do it correctly

http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/filenames-in-shell.html

Additionally, it's worth knowing the _difference_ between
the Bourne Shell and the BASH extensions, because those
two shells aren't the same, even though there are people
who seem to think this. When the "dash" shell enters the
stage, the fun is about to start. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany