Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 2006 16:57:21 -0600
From:      "Scot Hetzel" <swhetzel@gmail.com>
To:        "Derrick Edwards" <dantavious@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, ale@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MySQL problems

On 2/23/06, Derrick Edwards <dantavious@comcast.net> wrote:
>        Hi,
> I continue to have this problem. I can not install any ports that require=
> MySQL. I have deinstalled MySQL and I continue getting the same couple of
> errors.
>
> /usr/ports/databases/mysql51-server]# make install clean
> =3D=3D=3D>  mysql-server-5.1.6_1 cannot install: the port wants mysql51-c=
lient and
> you try to install mysql5-client..
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/databases/mysql51-server.
>

> [root@mail /usr/ports/mail/postfix-current]# make install clean
> =3D=3D=3D>  postfix-2.3.20060207,2 cannot install: unknown MySQL version:=
 5.
> *** Error code 1

If you set WITH_MYSQL_VER, what is it's value?

Do you set WANT_MYSQL_VER? If you do, don't as that variable is only
to be set by the ports maintainer, when a port can only use a specific
version.  The variable you should be setting is the WITH_MYSQL_VER
instead.

Do you have mysql5?-client installed?

According to Mk/bsd.database.mk:

# Setting/finding MySQL version we want.
.if exists(${LOCALBASE}/bin/mysql)
_MYSQL_VER!=3D=09${LOCALBASE}/bin/mysql --version |  \
                                ${SED} -e 's/.*Distrib
\([0-9]\)\.\([0-9]*\).*/\1\2/'
.endif

Gets the current version of the installed MySQL client.  If you run
this command on your system, what value do you get.

More than likely you have either WITH_MYSQL_VER or WANT_MYSQL_VER set
to 5, where it should have been set to 50.  But since you now want to
install MySQL 5.1, WITH_MYSQL_VER should now be set to 51, and
WANT_MYSQL_VER should not be set.

Scot
--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.