Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 23:36:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Wayne Farmer <wayne@telstra.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Signal 10 during Fresh 2.1.6.1 Install

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, Wayne Farmer wrote:

> I'm after some more ideas.  I keep getting "Fatal Signal 10 Caught! I'm
> dead ..." during install with 2.1.6.1
>
> Install runs for about 5 minutes after it starts grabbing and unpacking
> the distribution and fails when it starts "saving any boot -c changes to
> kernel".
>
> My isolation methods have included :
> * hard disk replacement
> * motherboard replacement (same memory and add-on cards)
> * plus memory replacement
> * plus SCSI card and video card replacement
> * plus floppy cable replacement
> * plus floppy drive replacement
> * re-make floppy boot disk
>
> Am only left with the power supply and case and the SCSI cables.

The sort of hardware you changed will not cause sig10's
and sig11's, except for the MB and memory.  It's not in
the disk subsystem.

1.  Did you get a new external processor cache module?
2.  Did you get new, tested memory AT THE RIGHT SPEED and from the SAME
    MANUFACTURER?
3.  Did you reset the BIOS memory timings to their defaults?

> I have installed 2.1.6.1 about 6 times without a problem (on identical
> hardware) and just to complicate things, 2.2-BETA installs with no problems
> on THIS problem machine.

It's a problem machine all right.

:-)

Hope this helps.