Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 1996 16:36:19 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        Sujal Patel <smpatel@umiacs.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: javac, jdk etc

Sujal Patel said:
>On Wed, 28 Aug 1996, Vlad wrote:
>
>> (1) I install all three ports (netscape3, jdk-1.0.2, and javac_netscape)
>> with little trouble (I have to modify the Makefiles for netscape3 port to
>> have the latest version of netscape as well as java_30 instead of moz...what-
>> ever.zip installed). Netscape as a browser runs Ok, I can see applets (including
>> some I've written myself in Solaris JDK), but javac always fails with this
>> message:
>> Unable to initialize threads: cannot find class java/lang/Thread
>
>The javac_netscape port hasn't actually worked correctly since early
>Netscape 3.0 betas or Netscape 2.0(2?)
>

>> (2)Is JDK really necessary ? Why are the files installed by jdk port
>> required, seeing that they are for Solaris after all ?
>
>The files that it installs from the Solaris JDK are needed, they are
>actually interpreted by the Java virtual machine.
>
>Instead of using javac_netscape (unless you dig up a version of Netscape
>that works), I would suggest you get the "kaffe" port.  It will allow you
>to do what you want (but it still has some bugs).
>

>Sujal

kaffe doesn't support any graphical stuff, unless things have changed
dramatically since the last release that I saw.  Jeffrey Hsu's port of
the 1.0 JDK (also AWT-free) has always worked better than kaffe for
me.  I can send you a copy of this if you want it.

	Scott

 Scott Mitchell, CompSci Dept, Queen Mary & Westfield College, London, UK
       mailto:scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk   http://www.dcs.qmw.ac.uk/~scott
            finger scott@ruby.dcs.qmw.ac.uk for PGP public key