Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 14:05:23 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it soup yet? :-)

"Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:
> > Oh, one other thing.. libdisk is built by doing a file2c of /usr/mdec/
> > boot1/boot2 and compiling it in.  It is using the *old* boot code, because
> > libdisk is built before src/sys/boot in a 'make world'.
>
> I suppose we could move src/sys/boot earlier in the worldbuild.
> Any objections?

How do we build them?  It uses elf (cc, as, m4, etc), the btx tools, and
libstand, and are they all available before we build src/lib?  I have a
hard enough time following the inter-dependencies of a world build..

> > BTW; I really do not like moving the bootblock source files (boot0/1/2) to
> > /boot;  I think of /boot as an equivalent to the bootblocks..  /usr/mdec
>
> There are several good reasons for shooting /usr/mdec through the
> head, once more through the heart for good measure and then jumping up
> and down on its twitching corpse for awhile.  I shall list them:
>
> 1. It is under /usr.  disklabel is in /sbin.  Enough said.

So?  If you've got as far as running /sbin/disklabel, you have already
booted.  Availability (or not) of new bootblocks isn't going to make the
slightest difference as to whether you can repair and mount /usr or not.
I'd argue that if you can't mount /usr, the stage 0,1 and 2 bootblocks are
the least of your worries. :-)

> 2. /usr/mdec, evil though it was, gave us a single place to look for
>    boot related material.  It wasn't a lot of material (<2MB) but it
>    was diverse enough to include UFS, DOS and network booting code
>    and it would be a shame to have to remember to look in two places for
>    that stuff.  I think there should be only one boot frob
>    directory and that it should be /boot

/usr/mdec was a storage area, nothing more.  /boot contains *running* code
and configuration files and is a rather sensitive area.  IMHO, we don't
need to fill it up with 1.5MB of junk that isn't related to getting this
instance of the system up and running.  cdboot for instance does not
belong in /boot.  The netboot roms do not belong in /boot.  fbsdboot.exe
does not belong in /boot.

I for one do not have a spare 1.5MB of root partition space on my systems
(except one) to fill up with junk.  Most were partitioned years ago and
date back to 2.0 or 2.0.5 days.

> - Jordan

Cheers,
-Peter