Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2000 20:09:28 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: apparently FreeBSD-specific DNS failure

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Randy Bush wrote:

> >> bzzzt!  see rfc 2181 sec 11
> > I think you might have read that wrong.
>
> uh, i wrote it, not read it.

Yes, after rereading it I see now you do mean binary octets.

I must say, reading it is ambiguous, and you don't explicitly state
that each octet MAY take on all values, or if not, which ones.  If I
were writing a DNS stack based on this, that would give me many
unanswered questions.

Perhaps it would also be a good idea (purely for sake of clarity) to
indeed reference the RFCs in the same breath which it would be
obsoleting while making those proposals (as did RFC1123.)  I think
that would even be more clear.

What luck! I've got the author himself on the horn.  When do we get to
use umlauts in our domain names here in Germany?  :)

-Paul.