Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 2014 21:18:46 -0400
From:      Chris Nehren <cnehren+freebsd-stable@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vt(4) and geli(8)

On 2014/04/18, 11:36, Greg Rivers wrote:
> The new vt system console looks really nice.  But on hosts that
> have geli encrypted devices that prompt for the passphrase at
> boot, no keyboard input reaches geli.  The keyboard doesn't
> appear to be dead, as the caps-lock and num-lock keys toggle;
> geli just doesn't receive any input. This is on 10-STABLE amd64
> built from yesterday's sources. "hw.vga.textmode=1" doesn't make
> any difference.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this?

Yes, I have, on my FreeBSD workstation with a USB keyboard.  It's
running FreeBSD 10 with geli-encrypted ZFS root.  This happened
before I updated to vt, though.  I managed to work around the
problem, surprisingly enough, by mashing the keyboard when the
system boots as soon as I see bold white kernel text.  Then, when
prompted for the passphrase (after all the USB devices finish
probing / attaching), I hit enter to clear the buffer and then am
able to enter the passphrase correctly.

I'll be filing a PR for this, probably on Monday, should I not be
able to find one that's similar.

--
Chris Nehren