Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 2002 04:28:34 -0600
From:      John Nielsen <john@jnielsen.net>
To:        Marco Molteni <molter@tin.it>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB support for new HP printers?

On Monday 26 August 2002 02:51, Marco Molteni wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Aug 2002 23:36:15 -0600, John Nielsen <john@jnielsen.net>
>
> wrote:
> > Are there plans to add USB support for HP's newer printers to FreeBSD=
?

> > Specificially, the OfficeJets and the LaserJet 1200?  They use a
> > new/different/broken USB interface so they're just recognized as ugen
> > devices at the moment..
>
> have a look at hpoj.sourceforge.net
> they plan FreeBSD USB support for a next release

I've been all over the site and read some of the docs.  The most useful=20
piece of information I found was this:

"FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD are not yet supported in USB mode, due to=20
missing functionality in the kernel "ulpt" driver (bidirectional I/O,=20
device ID retrieval, switching to 7/1/3, and HP channel-change-request)."

The only FreeBSD information in the TODO section has to do with fixing th=
e=20
build so it works [better].

I don't get the idea that they are planning to add the missing kernel=20
functionality themselves; they don't seem to have done any of that for=20
Linux--they just list using a supported kernel as a requirement for USB.

Since I'm mostly just interested in printing to an LJ 1200, I don't know =
if=20
I'd even use the hpoj stuff unless necessary (although it does look=20
interesting).  I'm just wondering if kernel support for these beasties is=
=20
already being worked on, and where I can get more information.

JN