Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2001 00:33:44 +0100
From:      "Mark Hughes" <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>
To:        "Jim Freeze" <jim@freeze.org>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail and Virtual Hosting

> Thanks to all who have helped get my mail system running.
> With your help, I have finally got mail running.
>
> Now, I have a question about how to setup sendmail so
> it sends mail to name@domain.
>
> Here's the problem.
> I have two domains both with the same ip:
>  www.domain1.com   12.34.56.78
>  www.domain2.com   12.34.56.78
>
> Apache serves up pages for each domain just fine.
> I also have established accounts on my machine:
>
>  usr1  # owns domain1
>  usr2  # owns domain2
>
> With this groups help I have configured sendmail
> to accept mail to:
>
>   usr1@domain1.com or usr2@domain2.com.
>
> The problem comes when someone sends mail to
>
>   usr2@domain1.com or usr1@domain2.com.
>
> Either way, both users receive the others email.
> Is there a way to not let this happen?
> In other words, it seems that valid mail boxes
> are based only upon if a user exists. I need a
> way to identify valid email addresses with dns
> names.
>
> Plus, eventually I need to be able to have some
> kind of table (virtusertable?) direct emails to
>
>    webmaster@domain1.com and webmaster@domain2.com
>
> to their respective mailboxes. Does this require
> masquerading?
> Can someone please explain how I can accomplish
> these two tasks?

I'm not 100% sure, but I would look into virtmaps - in your mail config directory, you
should put a file called virtmaps, in which you need to have....

webmaster@domain1.com    usr1
webmaster@domain2.com    usr2

also in this file, you can put a line like

domain2.com    usr2

which will forward any unmatched mail @domain2 (including usr1@domain2.com I think - maybe
someone else can confirm this) to usr2, in effet making usr2 the catchall address for
domain2.com. Likewise for domain1.com, a similar line could be added.

I'm not too sure, but there may be a script you have to run to load the contents of this
file into the virtmaps.db file, I have absolutely no idea what that may be though, so do a
little search on google and you'll proabbly find out.

Hope this helps, and I hope I'm right too :-)

Mark