Date:      Wed, 03 Aug 2005 20:20:31 -0400
From:      "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Connected to Router but not Internet

On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 20:12 -0400, Jonathan Herriott wrote:
> kldload -v if_ipw
>
> ipwcontrol -i ipw0 -f /usr/local/libdata/if_ipw/ipw2100-1.3.fw
>
> ifconfig ipw0 inet 192.168.0.20 netmask 0xffffff00 ssid JONNET wepkey my_key
> weptxkey 1 wepmode on
>
> I can ping and access my router, but when I go to ping google, it says the
> host name cannot be resolved or some such thing.  Basically, it's not able
> to get the address with the host name.  Any idea what I did wrong?

You haven't told FreeBSD how to use the router.

route add default ip.addr.of.router

Also, you might want to verify that /etc/resolv.conf has a nameserver
listed so the resolver knows how to translate e.g. www.google.com to an
IP address.

--
brandon s. allbery   [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]      allbery@kf8nh.com