Date:      Fri, 7 Jan 2000 10:14:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   article on 4.0

Well, with the feature freeze, this seems to be a good time to try to
push an article on the new features in 4.0.  Print articles take about
4 months to appear, so I need to get moving on this.  This seems to be
the best place to ask:

Does anyone have a complete list of the major
improvements/enhancements in -current?  Unfortunately, the mailing
list search engine doesn't work well for this sort of thing, so I'm
stuck with stored messages from -current and hazy information from my
sporadically-firing gray matter.

The ones that stuck in my brain are:

*VM enhancements

*NTFS reading

*NFS enhancements

*Novell connectivity

*Massive flame wars with dillon, pkh, and karl -- ahem, I'll skip this one

*Linux emulation improvement & signals changes -- does this actually
improve any other system functions, or does it just improve our Linux
compatability?

*scads of device drivers (yes, scads *is* a technical term)

*Netgraph (merged into -stable recently, I know, but unfamiliar enough
to most people that it's worth a mention)

*partial IPv6 support

Does this cover it?  Is there an official document?

Thanks,
Michael

PS: For anyone who cares, the proofs arrived for my next Sys Admin
article yesterday.  Thanks again to all who reviewed them, I owe each
of you a drink or two.

PPS: Does anyone know if Sunworld.com is a paying market?