Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 17:54:44 -0500
From:      syntax <syntax@eramp.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xfree86 configuration on a Compaq Presario CDS 524

Hiya,

I'm helping a young man in Australia try and get his X windows working
and was hoping you all could see if you could help. Here is the letter
I sent him. All he gets is a blank screen on running startx.

> I'll go screen by screen:
>
> 1. The first screen is just garbage so hit return.
>
> 2. I'm not sure which mouse Compaq supplies. Look on the underside
> and see if it says Logitech. Logitech mice also always have 3 buttons.
> At this point it doesn't matter since we can fix this later and the
> most trouble it will cause is your mouse not working in X windows.
>
> 3. For chordmiddle answer y no matter what mouse you have.
>
> 4. For Emulate3Buttons if you only have a 2 button mouse then enter y
> if a three button mouse enter n.
>
> 5. For the device your mouse uses, I'm assuming that like most Compaq's
> your mouse is com1 and your modem is com2 so it should be /dev/ttyd0
>
> 6. For bindings on alt keys answer y.
>
> 7. OK this is the most important screen, and the one you are having
> problems with. This is how I did mine:
> I choose 11
> Then I entered 31.5,37.5,37.8

Compaq gave him the specs. 31.5,37.5,35.5 so he used those instead.

> 8. Vertical sync. should be 50-100 so choose 3.
>
> 9. OK on the next 3 questions it doesn't matter how you answer but
> using something you will recognize later helps.
> Try these or something similar:
> Identifier for monitor: Presario
> Vender: Compaq
> Model name: 524
>
> 10. To look at database enter y.
>
> 11. Choose 25.

He has the Cirus card specified in 25.

> [...]
>
> 15. OK the next screen is asking how much memory you have on your video
> card. 512k=.5 meg. Do you really have that little? Most cards today
> I assumed came with at least 1 meg.=1024k but you know best.
>
> 16. Just hit enter for clock chip setting.
>
> 17. If your card, when you specified it, told you to not run
> "-probeonly" then don't, otherwise run it later. For now just hit enter.
>
> 18. OK on this screen I never accept the defaults. Do this:
> Choose 1 then enter 432
> Do the same with 2 and 3
> Then choose 4
>
> What this does is sets your X windows to try and run in 1024x768 mode
> first, then try 800x600, finally try 640x480. That maybe a little off,
> it has been a while but we can adjust all these numbers later.
>
> 19. Choose n, we don't want a link to /etc/XF86Config.
>
> 20. Choose y, we do want a link to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config.
>
> OK now for the big test. Exit back to your normal prompt and enter
> the command: startx
>
> If your screen goes blank and doesn't come back to the prompt we are
> getting close :) Of course if it works even better.
>
> If the screen is blank then try this:
> Hold down your ctrl and alt keys together and hit the + sign on the
> number pad. USE THE NUMBER PAD + NOT THE ONE ON THE TOP ROW OF YOUR
> KEYBOARD.
>
> If this doesn't cycle you into a usuable screen then we are not defeated
> yet. Press the ctrl, alt, backspace key all together and hopefully this
> will get you back to your normal prompt. If this doesn't then you will
> need to just reset the computer.
>
> Now there are two things you can do. This is what I would do:
>
> Call compaq and tell them the model number on your monitor. Tell them
> you need the exact horizotal sync. spects. You don't want a range from
> them unless their monitor will work on any number in that range,
> because X windows is very exacting on these specs.
>
> See, when your machine tried to run X windows but gave you a blank
> screen it meant that everything was right except the horz. sync.
>
> Once, you get these numbers login as root and:
> cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11
> then edit the XF86Config file, find a line like:
>
> HorizSync 31.5,37.5.37.8
>
> and edit it putting in the numbers from Compaq.
>
> If you don't like this method you can just go through the X
> configuration again.
>
> The second, and more risky method is to start guessing at the horiz.
> sync., but this is not recommended.
>
> After all this is done and X windows if working, if your mouse is not
> working then in the same file edit the the line under Section "Pointer"
>
> A microsoft mouse will say:
> Protocol "Microsoft"
>
> A logitech mouse will say:
> Protocol "Logitech"
>
> Hope this helps. Let me know. If I made anything to vague point me to
> it and I'll try to be clearer. After you have X windows working then
> we'll work on getting it set up in a way you like it.

Thanks in advance for any responses, I'd really like to see him
get the full pleasure of FreeBSD.

 syntax@eramp.net