Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 2002 22:03:04 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        robert Backhaus <robbakfreebsd@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Very slow install from CDROM

On 12 Aug 2002 at 21:47, robert Backhaus boldly uttered:

> How is the CD-ROM drive, and is the disk a poor burn?
> stable reading? I've had cd-roms that take three or
> four tries to read every bit.

Could be the drive I suppose, I don't have much experience with it,
but I can say it seems to work fine on other CDs, and it boots fine
from the 4.6-RC2 disk.  Only seems to be when it's copying files (CD
and HD running simultaneously) when it chokes up.

It's not the CD itself, as mentioned I did an install from the same
CD on a SCSI-based system (NEC SCSI CDROM) and it went like blazes.

I just picked up a 6GB Maxtor HD from someone 15 mins ago and am
going to put it in the system and see what happens.

Something is very strange here beyond the speed issue, because the
install fails in various ways eventually anyway.  Either it gets some
kind of coredump, or says "can't copy kernel to /" or somesuch, and
there appears to be plenty of disk space.

Knowing Compaq, wouldn't surprise me if they had some kind of weird
disk controller on there that doesn't act like anyone else's.

However due to the various things that have been discussed vis-a-vis
the ATA driver over the last couple of months, I was just initially
wondering if it was related to that.

--
Philip J. Koenig
pjklist@ekahuna.com