Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:53:37 +0200 (CEST)
From:      <ogautherot@freesurf.fr>
To:        <sandboxpro@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Can't connect to the internet

Hi there!

Welcome to FreeBSD! Just to cover my a... beware that
technical questions should be sent to
freebsd-questions@freebsd.org. I think this one is borderline
but anyway...

> I'm can't connect to the internet. I have my computer
> connected to a router via NIC. the lights on the
> router are lit and so are the lights on the NIC. Thus,
> I know i have a connection. I tried ping -c 10
> 192.168.1.1 and all i got was
> ping: sendto: No route host

The best is to check how your NIC card is configured:

    ifconfig -a

It should indicate what card type you're using and how the
network is initialized. See the man page, which is well
detailed.

What router are you using? Like a Linux or Windows machine
or is it an "embedded" router (one of thoses boxes that
connect to an ADSL line on one end and share it with 4 or 8
computers)?  Without this info, it is difficult to get you
started.

> I can't seem to find a simple to tutorial on this
> specific problem of just connecting to the internet
> through a router. I have found how to make your pc a
> router and connecting via serial cables and modems,
> but this is different.

To make your PC a router, you need to have an Internet
access in the first place, that's right :-) Basically,
it should be "plug-and-play".

My first advice would be to configure FreeBSD as a DHCP
client and let the router do the config for you. When I first
installed FreeBSD, my wife was using our connection on a
Windows PC and, by the time the install finished and I could
log in, FreeBSD was already online: ping, portinstall, mozilla,
etc. worked flawlessly.

Let us have more details about your LAN if this does not help.

Cheerio
  Olivier