Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 15:47:35 +0100
From:      rene@xs4all.nl
To:        questions@freebsd.org

Hi. Due to the fact that the mailinglist searchengine has been without data
to search in for several weeks now, I would like to get a local copy of the
mailinglists. I have read to
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/doc/mailing-lists/README;

<snip>
Since FTP will stupidly copy the whole file each time, not just the
bits appended to it since the last mirroring pass, it is recommended
that you use the cvsup utility to mirror the mail archives (see
supfile.cvsup for example configuration) if you really want these
archives locally.
<snip>

So, being a good boy I went through all those steps, including creating a
~/.cvsup/auth file with a valid password. However, when I run CVSUP I get:

 { (root@messenger) (03:05P) (#73:578) }-
 { (/home/rene ) (/root) }-
 $ cvsup -g -L 2 mailinglists.supfile
Parsing supfile "mailinglists.supfile"
Connecting to freefall.freebsd.org
Connected to freefall.freebsd.org
Server software version: SNAP_16_1e
Server error: Authentication failed

I think this means that the server won't serve me until I get some admin to
type in my name and password on their end, but *I am not sure*...

Some advice on how to get a good local archive of the mailinglists (apart
from subscribing, doh!) would be appreciated!

Merry Xmas, Rene.