Date:      Tue, 09 Jul 2013 13:50:17 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
To:        Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
Cc:        alc@freebsd.org, Steve Wills <swills@freebsd.org>, jeff@freebsd.org, Attilio Rao <attilio@freebsd.org>, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, kib@freebsd.org, portmgr@freebsd.org, nox@freebsd.org, vbox@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: svn commit: r248084 - in head/sys: amd64/amd64 arm/arm cddl/compat/opensolaris/kern cddl/compat/opensolaris/sys cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/fs/zfs cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/fs/zfs...

On 7/9/13 1:46 PM, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org> wrote:
>> On 7/9/13 12:39 PM, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>>> On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
>>> wrote:
>>> In general (as most devs know), anytime that __FreeBSD_version__ needs to
>>> be bumped for a change, there really should be an exp- run. I would hope
>>> that intuition would at least allow a chicken switch between APIs for a
>>> period of time so that people could at least be allowed time to transition
>>> code over and then make the change.
>>
>> Can't an email hook be put in place to automatically spin one off based on
>> commits to the file that change it?
>>
>> Tinderportsbox?
> That would be nice, but it would be good if people ran exp- runs
> before committing to head/ instead of after. Some changes take ages to
> work through and fix, and having ports be broken until all of the
> issues are solved is painful for everyone who upgrades their ports
> trees on a regular basis.
>
> I prefer to promote the "you break it, you buy it", instead of the "I
> broke it, random contributor/dev, go fix my mess" mentality because
> the latter is extremely irresponsible.
>
> That being said, if there were tests integrated in as well (cues
> bdrewery's work in combination with mine -- both which are in
> progress), having this magically be automated would be considerably
> less painful. This is close (probably will happen by the end of the
> year), assuming that I have support and he does as well getting things
> committed to base and ports.
>
> Thanks!
> -Garrett

One thing that git helps with is that it's very easy to commit code to a
"forked" repo, and then run tests against it.  That would allow someone
who cloned/forked "freebsd-src" to point an exp run at his/her code for
a test run.

I guess that will be some years from now. ... or we build something
based on svn-patch/diff?