Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 16:08:22 -0700 (MST)
From:      chad@anasazi.com (Chad R. Larson)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        imp@village.org, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SUP

> The fact is that no matter what we did, including parking the Goodyear
> Blimp over your house with a flashing "Upgrade to CVSup!  Upgrade,
> Warner, Upgrade!" banner on its belly, you probably wouldn't upgrade
> until forced to at gunpoint.  You have other demands on your schedule
> and upgrades are a hassle, we know that, but please don't misidentify
> a human nature issue as a byproduct of "volunteer organization", OK? :-)

It =is= a human nature thing.  I've been using SUP all along.  I
understood that much of the world was using CVSup, but SUP was working
for me and I didn't want to invest time/effort learning another method.
I feared I could wind up killing quite a lot of time, learning the ins
and outs of CVS, etc.

Why change unless I had to.

This week, I had to.  It turned out not to be too painful.  A lot of
necessary information is =only= in the on-line handbook at
www.FreeBSD.org; it's nowhere to be found on my 2.1.7 machines.  But an
evening with Section 17.2 of that handbook, and the man page got me
running.  I took the easy way out and picked up the static binaries to
avoid having to build and deal with Modula-3.

I agree that a little more explicit notice would have been appreciated.
"It's going away someday" doesn't carry the same imperative as "we're
shutting it down next week."

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)                          Brother, can you paradigm?
602-870-3330    chad@anasazi.com     chad@anasaz.UUCP      chad@dcfinc.com