Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 15:23:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      kotay@ahwanee.cs.dartmouth.edu
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   No Magic Number

I recently installed a second external SCSI drive on one
of our FreeBSD machines.  I followed the instructions in
the handbook for setting up the drive (disklabel, newfs,
mount).  The drive seems to be working fine except at boot
time when I get a message saying that the partitions do
not have a magic number which won't allow fsck to check
them.  Have I instaled the drive incorrectly?  How do I
get these magic numbers onto the partitions?

Keith

Keith D. Kotay
kotay@cs.dartmouth.edu
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~kotay