Date:      Sun, 10 Jun 2001 18:14:28 +0200
From:      Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/mail/exim Makefile

Thus spake Sheldon Hearn (sheldonh@starjuice.net):

> > >   	cd /path/to/ports/mail/exim
> > >   	make WITH_MAILDIR=no WITH_MAILSTORE=no WITH_MBX=no
> > This should be WITHOUT_*
> When did that become a rule?  I missed it being added to the porters'
> handbook, sorry.

This is not a written rule.  However, almost all other ports only use
.if defined(variable) and don't depend on the values.
It's commonly known and used everywhere, e.g. when helping newbies
on freebsd-questions etc. (usually make -DWITH_FOO -DWITHOUT_X11 etc)
Everything else is against POLA, imo.

> I'm not convinced it's sucha hot idea, though.  What am I supposed to do
> when the operator does this:
> 	make -DWITH_MAILDIR -DWITHOUT_MAILDIR

If maildir is the default and you want to turn it off, you only check
for WITHOUT_*. -DWITH_MAILDIR has no effect (since it makes no sense).

Alex