Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 2014 09:31:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
To:        linimon@lonesome.com
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: what's up with portsmon?

On 27 Aug, Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 04:34:01PM -0700, Don Lewis wrote:
>> What's going on with portsmon.freebsd.org these days?   A number of my
>> ports have been updated quite a while ago, but there isn't any updated
>> build status on portsmon.
>
> portsmon suffered some bitrot when a vuxml URL grew a "|" in it.  This
> caused index updates to not be updated.  I fixed the bitrot last Sunday
> but I should probably do a force-rebuild of the metadata.
>
>> I poked around on one of the pkg.freebsd.org, and stuff looks pretty
>> old there as well.  For instance, the timestamps of the files under
>> freebsd:10:x86:32/latest/ are 13-Aug-2014.
>
> portsmon only knows about the packages provided by pkg.freebsd.org.
> That's a question for the currently active portmgrs.

That's sounds reasonable for a ports consumer who wants to know what
packages are available.

Where do the error logs come from?  I didn't see them on the
pkg.freebsd.org miror that I looked at (and it would be silly to mirror
them).

It might be nice to be able to get an earlier indication of breakage,
before the update to pkg.freebsd.org.  I've gotten a message from
pkg-fallout@ as a ports maintainer, but when I broke openoffice-4, the
only indication was its portsmon status page.

>> But ... if I go to this page
>> <http://portsmon.freebsd.org/portsoverall.py>; and select the
>> 84amd64-default link, I end up at
>> <http://beefy2.isc.freebsd.org/bulk/84amd64-default/latest/>.  If I then
>> click on the "logs/" link, I find a bunch of build logs dated
>> 24-Aug-2014.  Looking at protobuf-c-1.0.1.log, it looks like the build
>> was a success.
>
> IIUC, the build machines' outputs (e.g. *.isc.freebsd.org) are not automatically
> uploaded to pkg.freebsd.org in order to provide a sanity check.

That sounds like a reasonable precaution in case something goes off the
rails.

>> Other observations:
>>
>>   It would probably be helpful if the individual port pages reported
>>   the status for the new_xorg versions.
>
> portsmon never had the idea of "multiple repositories" engineered into it.
> This would take a bit of retrofitting.  I'll put it on the todo list.
>
> A shortcut would be to build a "new-xorg only" version of portsmon.  I
> would need to get clusteradm to provision me a new, separate, jail to do
> that.  (I have an outstanding request for another one anyways that seems
> to be stalled.)

Looks like there's yet another for ssp ...

>>   It would be nice if there was a way to find out what the ports build
>>   cluster was currently working on.  Things like the svn revision of the
>>   ports tree, what OS and ARCH versions were currently being built, and
>>   how far along the build was (basically what you see when you type ^T
>>   during a poudriere run), and what's next the the queue.
>
> portsmon is not really tightly coupled to the build machines.  I suppose
> I could teach it more about poudriere but that makes the code a lot more
> specific than it is right now.

It might make more sense for the build machines to have a cron job that
periodically generates a status page and point to that.

A list of the package sets that haven't yet been uploaded to the pkg
mirrors would also be nice to have since that isn't done automagically.