Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 1997 23:26:55 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Barnacle Wes <wes@xmission.com>
To:        Smitho@en.com (smitho)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and me

smitho queried:

To add slightly to what Nadav already said:

> 16x Mitsumi cd-rom

I've had pretty good luck with Mitsumi CD-ROMS so far.  I know the
8X FX-810s works well with FreeBSD.

> pentium 150

AMD K5's are cheaper for the performance, but we've beaten that topic
to death last week.  ;^)

> tyan 1572  430tx atx model

Dunno.

> quantum 2.1 SE with ultra DMA 33 IDE

IDE?  Ugh.  Not for a server -- only for a low-end workstation where
$$$ are more important than performance.

> (2) 64 MB sd-ram dimm moduals

Yum!

> colorado T3000 back up

Get a SCSI tape drive.  I've heard reports these TR3 and TR4 drives
are *much* slower than expected, but if you're doing backups over
night, who cares?  Also, the media are quite expensive; if you're
planning to run a *regular* backup, and use more than 3 or 4 tapes,
a 4mm DAT drive will probably be cheaper overall.  Faster, too.

> el-chepo video card (we wont be running a GUI)

Amen!  Finally a voice of reason!  Monitors smaller than 17" are
useless for workstations, monitors larger than 9" are overkill for
servers.  ;^)  I have a really nice 9" paper-white VGA bought on
a clearance from IBM a few years ago; they were changing all of
their CASH REGISTERS to color VGA.  Doh!  Got it new for $60 and
use it on my little "boat anchor" test machine/server.

> and a 3 com 3c905 10 base t ethernet card

Ugh!  Get a DEC 2104x based card.

> I have had a hard time trying to find specific information on hardware
> compatability or any info reguarding reccommended install method

RTFM: follow Nadav's link to the handbook.

> (cd-rom,tape,disk,etc.) I have contacted many of the above mentioned

CD-ROM, definitely.  Unless you already have a *fast* internet connection.
I did a network install at work shortly after 2.2 was released.  We have
a shared T1, which is really fast after 6:00 pm local time.  I installed
FreeBSD over the internet on a K5/133 faster than a co-worker installed
NT 4.0 off cd-rom on identical hardware.  ;^)  This impressed the PC-heads
at work.

> vendors and they say they do not support FBSD are there drivers in the
> OS that will work with these pieces?? there is alot of vague references

Yes.  Most standard bits of PC hardware are supported, see the handbook
for more detailed info.

> but nothing specific I was wondering if I may trouble you to give me any
> hardware recommendations and/or any type of neet stuff you can tell me
> would be great and highly appreciated I think we want to use ver. 2.2.2
> that seems to be the most recent stable version from all the reading I

Good luck!