Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 12:38:03 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        David Murphy <drjolt+freebsd-stable@redbrick.dcu.ie>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Voxware is toast. Get used to it. (Re: Suggestions for improving newpcm performance?)

On Tue 2000-03-21 (16:27), Doug Barton wrote:
> 	Remarkably similar. We put the big, hairy, compatability breaking
> changes in the major version bumps. We have learned a few lessons from the
> last version upgrade cycle, some are left to be learned anew.

In my opinion, the 3.4 -> 4.0 upgrade is remarkably painless.  It's just
the hairy explanations that are being thrown around about how to do it
correctly in 25 steps.

I've successfully done a 3.4 -> 4.0 upgrade in exactly these steps:

cd /usr/src
make buildworld
make buildkernel
make installkernel
reboot (single)
cd /usr/src
make -k installworld
make installworld

That '-k installworld' is the only "fiddly" bit.

No, I didn't "cd /dev && sh MAKEDEV all", since 4.0 seems to support the
'wd' compatibility perfectly.

> 	Caveat compiler. We NEVER suggest that lusers (or, less
> experienced users) upgrade from source, even for a point release. We
> ALWAYS tell them to upgrade from CD, or wipe their disk and do a clean
> install. If you choose the upgrade from source path, YOU take
> responsibility for adequately educating yourself. Period, end of story.

I think that's a bit strong.  It is suggested that certain people
track -STABLE, for example, and for the most part, it's painless.
Tracking -CURRENT is a different story.  I can't say I've seen a
statement that says "ALWAYS upgrade via CD, do not use the source,
since it's heavy wizardry".  I started tracking -STABLE about 4
days after I installed FreeBSD, and I know many others (my "converts"),
who do the same, and have no hassles.

By being "STABLE", it means that the prescribed 'make world' upgrade
path should work, unless specifically mentioned in UPDATING or
similar.  If there are hassles, then this list is the place to air
them.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner