Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2007 09:36:44 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        mlfbsd@ci0.org
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: redboot based boot loader for kernels?

In message: <20070228115037.GA30703@ci0.org>
            Olivier Houchard <mlfbsd@ci0.org> writes:
: On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 12:24:59PM +0200, John Hay wrote:
: > Hi,
: >
: > Does anyone have or is busy with an app that one can load in the
: > redboot flash, that will load the kernel from the active partition
: > of a compact flash? I know one can load the kernel in the redboot
: > flash, but that makes remote upgrading more difficult. The way I
: > have done with our wrap and soekris boards, is to create 2 slices
: > on the CF. When upgrading, you just format and install on the
: > non-active slice, change the active bit and reboot.
: >
: > John
:
: Hi John,
:
: The problem is, it's very difficult to do so in a generic way. RedBoot doesn't
: export any facility to read from flash, so for each board, such a loader would
: require an IDE driver to read from CF, etc. As far as I know, nobody is
: working on it.
: Would being able to update the kernel located in the onboard flash from
: FreeBSD be an acceptable solution for you ?

The other option is to load boot2, or its kin, from flash and have
that load the kernel from CF...

Warner