Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2013 02:49:20 +0100
From:      Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
To:        Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@shaneware.biz>
Cc:        Laszlo Danielisz <laszlo_danielisz@yahoo.com>, FreeBSD - <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: external hdd

>>> http://www.area536.com/**projects/ironclad-time-**
>>> machine-backups-on-freebsd/<http://www.area536.com/projects/ironclad-time-machine-backups-on-freebsd/>;
>>>

>>>  Indeed.  As one might note on that page:
>>
>> defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolume
>> **s 1
>>                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^
>>

> The real point to notice is that the mentioned zfs storage is accessed
> over the network not over a local usb/sata cable. The freebsd server
> reads/writes to zfs the remote mac only talks afp over tcp seeing it as
> another network fileserver.
>
> While 10.5 included a zfs read-only kext apple removed it in 10.6 or 10.7.
>
> There is an oss version of zfs started that appears to have been revived -
> maczfs.com.
> There is also a commercial package for osx zfs - zevo.
> I'm not vouching for either of these just mentioning that they exist.

Aye, I know that.

My point is, perhaps that'd be his best bet then ?
Attach the USB device to the FreeBSD box, export it over afp.

I know that's not really ideal, that's a given.
However, this is a solution that allows him to use the disk on fbsd, and
still be able to export TM backups.