Date:      Fri, 07 Jul 2000 21:49:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   JDK, wine, linuxthreads users: please test new dynamic linker

I am looking for some help from anybody who uses JDK, wine, or
linuxthreads.  In the past these packages have suffered from
occasional random crashes caused by re-entrancy problems in the
dynamic linker.  I believe I have solved these problems in a commit
today:

    jdp         2000/07/07 21:10:38 PDT

      Modified files:
        libexec/rtld-elf     rtld.c rtld.h
        libexec/rtld-elf/alpha lockdflt.c rtld_machdep.h rtld_start.S
        libexec/rtld-elf/i386 lockdflt.c rtld_machdep.h
      Removed files:
        libexec/rtld-elf     lockdflt.c
    [...]
      Revision  Changes    Path
      1.46      +135 -115  src/libexec/rtld-elf/rtld.c
      1.18      +19 -6     src/libexec/rtld-elf/rtld.h
      1.5       +113 -44   src/libexec/rtld-elf/alpha/lockdflt.c
      1.4       +8 -2      src/libexec/rtld-elf/alpha/rtld_machdep.h
      1.4       +51 -4     src/libexec/rtld-elf/alpha/rtld_start.S
      1.5       +207 -43   src/libexec/rtld-elf/i386/lockdflt.c
      1.4       +23 -2     src/libexec/rtld-elf/i386/rtld_machdep.h

I'd appreciate it if you would update to the latest version of
"src/libexec/rtld-elf", build it, install it, and exercise some JDK,
wine, or linuxthreads applications.  Then let me know whether you see
any strange problems.  Even if you don't see problems I'd like to
know.

You can install the new dynamic linker without doing a full make
world.  Just cd to "src/libexec/rtld-elf" and do this:

    make obj
    make depend
    make all
    make install

This will also work on 4-stable systems (using -current's sources
for rtld-elf).

Later on if you want to revert to the older dynamic linker again,
you can find it in "/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1.old".

Thanks,
John