Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 2010 12:07:44 +0100
From:      Bas Smeelen <b.smeelen@ose.nl>
To:        =?windows-1252?Q?Matej_=8Aerc?= <matej.serc@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE amd64 hangs

On 12/16/2010 06=3A42 PM=2C Matej =8Aerc wrote=3A
=3E Hi=2C
=3E
=3E I am experiencing a strange issue that has never occurred to me in all=
 the
=3E years of using different versions of FreeBSD=2E
Maybe you are experiencing this=3A
http=3A//security=2Efreebsd=2Eorg/advisories/FreeBSD-EN-10=3A02=2Esched=5Fu=
le=2Easc

I=27m not sure however if there would be replies to pings then
=3E One of our servers=2C which was running without any issues until yester=
day=2C
=3E stopped responding for two times now - yesterday and today=2E About thr=
ee days
=3E ago another process of pulling out SNMP data from devices was added=2C=
 but I
=3E was looking the system load and the system was working normally and als=
=3E processes were cmpleting successfully within the timeframe of 5 minutes=

=3E =28much faster=2C they completed in about 2 minutes=29=2E I also want t=
o mention
=3E that those SNMP pulling processes were already working about a month or=
 so
=3E on the same server =28no hardware was changed in the meantime=29 and I=
 am pretty
=3E sure that it should work normally as it did=2E
=3E
=3E My main problem is=2C that there is abcolutely nothing in log files - n=
=3E errors=2C no warnings=2C nothing=2E No strange messages=2C every proces=
s just stops
=3E logging at one time and then continues after the reboot=2E Another inte=
resting
=3E issue is that both hangs occured at approximately the same time=2C but=
 there
=3E was nobody in the server room and also no one was logged into the serve=
r at
=3E that time except me=2E About 10 minutes before hang I was investigating=

=3E processes and everything was very normal - no large CPU eating or memor=
=3E eating processes=2E This might be interesting=2C even after every proce=
ss stops
=3E responding=2C I was still able to ping the network interfaces and recei=
ve ICMP
=3E replies back=2E
=3E
=3E Of course my idea about it is that it must be connected to some hardwar=
=3E problems - my suggestion was to make some memory tests=2E But I would l=
ike to
=3E hear some your oppinions about the entire situation=2E Could some power=
 supply
=3E issues be doing it=3F The server is about a year old and has=2C as I al=
ready
=3E mentioned=2C worked like a charm until now=2E How come there is no kern=
el panic
=3E since no daemon seems to be working=3F Why is network interface still u=
p and
=3E working=3F
=3E
=3E I was unable to go to the co-location facility so I can=27t say what wa=
s on
=3E the screen at both times=2C but I suppose there was nothing else than m=
essages
=3E I can read from log files=2E
=3E
=3E I know that 7=2E2 is pretty old version=2C but it was working until now=
 on the
=3E same hardware and we had no reason to change that=2E Now the system is=
 after
=3E reboot again running smoothly and without any issues at all=2E
=3E
=3E Thank you very much for any information regarding the issue=2E
=3E
=3E BR=2C Matej
=3E

--=20
DISCLAIMER=3A This e-mail is for the intended recipient=28s=29 only=2E Acce=
ss=2C disclosure=2C copying=2C
distribution or reliance on any of it by anyone else is prohibited=2E If yo=
u have received it
by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system=
=2E