Date:      Sun, 07 Jul 1996 14:46:29 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1 Help

Gary Chrysler wrote:

> Greg Lehey wrote:
> >
>         <chomp>
> >
> > Those are some good arguments.  I suppose this is a classical case of
> > YMMV: I just tried it out (on a BSD/OS box, thus the different device
> > name.  On FreeBSD I just have ISDN connections).
> >

> I'm not familliar with ISDN, They don't have dialtones?
>
> > $ cu -s 38400 -l /dev/tty01
> > Connected.
> > at
> > OK
> > atm3
> > OK
> > atl3
> > OK
> > atdt
> > NO CARRIER
> > ate0
> > OK
> >
> > OK
> >
> > OK
> > at
> > OK
> >
> > And yes, I got a click from the speaker.  But I didn't get a dial
> > tone, for some reason, just a disconnect tone after a while.  The
> > trouble with this method is that it requires you to have a dial tone.
> > On the other hand, I'm prepared to accept that not all modems will
> > still generate an OK when ate0 is set, so you'll probably have to try
> > a number of these methods.  But you can be pretty sure that nothing is
> > getting to the modem in the first place if you have -clocal set.
> >
> > Greg
>
> Ok, You probably didn't get a dialtone because of the ATM3.
> M3 Normally turns the speaker off during handshaking and dialing.
> Try it with M1 and L3 (ATM1L3)
> M1 = Speaker controll. (Normal hayes)
> L3 = Volume controll. (Normal hayes)
>
> Yes, You are right, This method does work better if you have a
> phone line with dialtone attached. :) But not needed!
>
> I just tried it on 7 different brands of modems, All of them
> returned OK from AT with ATE0 set. So for these seven brands/models.
> AT should prove success or failure.
>
> Yea, I agree, Try several different tests.. :)
> Can't hurt.
>
> 99.999% of my experiance is Dos based. So I have no idea what
> -clocal does. You can bet I'm looking though.. :)

Sorry for the Quote of my own message, But I needed to expand on it!

This is why I use ATDT to test modems versus AT.
Some term programs can echo or ignore result codes from the modem.

So if your term prog is set to echo results, And your modem is
set to echo results (ATE1) the you will get _double_ chars on
your term. (Double echo)

If your modem is ATE1 (echo results) and your term program is
set to ignore results, Your term may never recieve the OK.
Thus the results could be false, Even if true!

To receive OK. Your term must be able to receive the result.
	term -> modem -> term
Thus if modem -> term is broke. ... ...

ATDT does not require a two way street.
	term -> (modem -> modem_speaker)

IMHO using ATDT is a superior method for testing.

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848