Date:      Sun, 09 Jan 2000 22:57:33 -0800
From:      "David G. Paschich" <dpassage@flophouse.com>
To:        Andreas Braukmann <braukmann@tse-online.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trouble loading installing on my Aptiva

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Jan 09, 2000 at 01:05:47PM -0800, David G. Paschich wrote:
> > So I just got me a shiny new IBM Aptiva with one of them wacky Athlon
> > processors in it, and FreeBSD 3.x won't load on it.
> ... hmm. I'm running a 'built-by-myself' Athlon machine (K7-700,
> Gigabyte-Mainboard, SymbiosLogic SCSI hostadaptor, fxp network)
> under -current and -stable without any problems.
>
> Really without any problems? No, .. of course not.
> I had to _really_carefully_ select the memory.
>
> Athlon-boards are more then picky about memory.
> Just adjust the BIOS-settings concerning the memory-timing to
> some conservative values and try again.
> If this doesn't help -> swap the memory.

I'll try that, thanks.  As an aside, the -current shapshot from Sunday
booted up just fine, but I'd rather be on the -stable branch than the
-current one for this machine's eventual use.

Of course, I could always just wait a month for 4.0 to _become_
-stable :)

--------
David G. Paschich
dpassage@flophouse.com