Date:      Sat, 13 Apr 1996 21:50:46 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can someone explain why...

>>    The only way to troubleshoot this kind of problem is to first look at your
>> motherboard settings for correctness and then start replacing components until
>> the problem goes away. I would try changing the memory first.
>>
>	Okay, I could probably accept this (and most likely will in the end),
>but why would disabling -O allow it to compile, and then if I remove the
>object file, re-enable -O cause it to fail exactly the same way?

   Simple - you have a memory problem and the part of memory that is caching
gcc is wrong. It just happens that the code involved is only exercised when
you use -O. It's easy to test this: just reboot your computer and see if the
problem goes away. If it persists, then you might have a corrupt gcc binary.

-DG

David Greenman