Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 09:42:04 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        amir@neuron.net, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, nirva@ishiboo.com
Subject:   Re: -current kills harddrives

> > Any suggestions (includsing recommendations for
> > appropriate external enclosures that'll keep these suckers cool -- I still
> > have a 3rd disk I want to add in to the system).
>
> I'd recommend the TRIMM Trinketbox for the Barracudas. It has a 50W
> power supply, and a better than normal fan. I have one of these myself,
> and the air coming out of the cabinet by the fan is just mildly warmer
> than the surroundings.

I just looked at http://www.trimm.com/, VERY nice Web site, I like the level
of detail they provide  :-)

The Trinketbox looks substantially similar to JMR's Chico towers, we have
had bad experiences with these because when the fan goes: your drive cooks.
I like a minimum of two fans.  :-)  I would particularly avoid things like
their GiftBox (2 drives), etc. for this reason...

JMR makes some nice (pricey) cases, their "Plex" family, but they are
designed more for multiple drives (the scenario it seems we were
discussing anyways).  I've only used the HEXPLEX, but it is a very nice
enclosure and is as close to ideal as any other non-RAID case I have seen.

... JG