Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2019 13:24:57 -0500
From:      Ken Moore <ken@ixsystems.com>
To:        Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Lumina and env variables

On Monday, January 28, 2019 6:33:37 PM EST, Grzegorz Junka wrote:
>> Now for the lumina side of things.
>> 1. Lumina is completely Qt5-based, so the Lumina theme engine=20
>> is *only* used for theming Qt5-base applications. This means=20
>> that KDE4 applications will not use it (Qt4), Firefox/Chromium=20
>> will not use it (GTK2/3), but the Falkon browser *will* use it=20
>> (Qt5), and many of the KDE/Plasma5 applications will also use=20
>> it (Qt5).
>>=20
>> 2. Instead of going for the one-size-fits-all approach to=20
>> themes that most engines use, the Lumina theme engine is a=20
>> fork/update of qt5ct which is designed around the concept of a=20
>> single theme engine being itself configurable. For example, I=20
>> mentioned the QtCurve engine previously and it follows the=20
>> "engine=3Dlook" model where if you don't like it you have to find=20
>> another engine. qt5ct and lthemeengine take the approach that=20
>> we stick to a single toolkit, but expose all of the=20
>> configuration options via the engine itself - so a single=20
>> engine can have an infinite number of appearance outputs. The=20
>> only thing the engine needs to stay in-sync with is the toolkit=20
>> it is allowing access to modify.
>
> Hi Ken,
>
> Many thanks for this comprehensive introduction to theme=20
> engines. How does this approach "Lumina theme engine is a=20
> fork/update of qt5ct which is designed around the concept of a=20
> single theme engine being itself configurable" translates to=20
> configuration files? When I change a theme in Lumina Theme=20
> Engine does it update only files in .config/lumina-desktop or=20
> also in some other folders related to other theme engines?
>
> And crucially for my problem, why Lumina Theme Engine behaves=20
> differently when it's run from the menu and from the Desktop=20
> Configuration tool? I guess it's something to do with=20
> environment variables being set differently in those two cases?
>
> Thanks
> GrzegorzJ

So the Lumina theme engine has it's own configuration directory at=20
${XDG_CONFIG_HOME}/lthemeengine (typically ~/.config/lthemeengine).
That is the same style/format as the qt5ct config directory, and has a=20
single *.conf file and directories for user-defined colors and qss files.
Also: lthemeengine can be used *without* the lumina desktop by setting the=20=

QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=3Dlthemeengine environment variable, but you cannot use=20=

the lumina desktop without the lthemeengine (it expects particular=20
functionality from the theme engine for it's own styling).

With regards to the different appearance when it is launched, I only have a=20=

couple options:
1. If the QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME environment variable is getting stripped out=20=

or changed, then that will change the appearance.
2. If the user running the app changes (such as switching from user ->=20
root), that will cause the theme engine to load a different config file=20
with different user settings. (/root/.config/lthemeengine vs=20
/home/myuser/.config/lthemeengine).
3. If something is changing the XDG_CONFIG_HOME environment variable (which=20=

is commonly used for providing different "profiles" of settings by some=20
users), then lthemeengine will be looking in a different directory for it's=20=

configuration file (${XDG_CONFIG_HOME}/lthemeengine).

Nothing within the lumina apps (or lumina-config) will make those changes=20
automatically, and I am unable to reproduce the issue here, so you might=20
want to check any settings you have which are modifying the environment and=20=

just disable/remove those.

--=20
~~ Ken Moore ~~
TrueOS/iXsystems