Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 1995 05:26:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      sos@freebsd.org
To:        offe@dawnrazor.campus.luth.se (Olof Johansson)
Cc:        sos@freebsd.org, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE, hackers@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vgalib for FreeBSD!

> > As I allready stated before,  use the generic modes allready
> > supported by syscons, or use X, everything else is goin to be a
> > nightmare on code street.
> > However I'm willing to put some work into a library for doing
> > the generic modes via syscons (In fact I allready have one :) )
>
> Fine. :)  I only want a VGA programming package. :-)

OK, īgive me a couble of days and I'll provide you with a library
that allows the std VGA modes to be used, plus some low level
primitives to start with. That should get us going, then let me
know what functionality is needed and I'll do something about it
as we go.

> > Oh, well why not use X then for purposes that require
> > high res/many colors?? everything else is reinventing the wheel.
> > Besides doing real time graphics in high res isnt going to work
> > anyways on 90% of the PC hardware out there, no matter what
> > implementation we use.
>
> High res is a problem, but for low-res usage (say, installation software
> or whatever) X is sometimes too big.

I'd be willing to do (or help doing) a library that has some or all
of the libdialog functionality (plus whats needed for graphmode stuff)
for implementing this, if someone then will take on the task of
making the install/sysadm/whatever tools that we so badly need...
(jordan are you listening??)

Soren Schmidt  (sos@FreeBSD.org | sos@login.dknet.dk)  FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time