Date:      Fri, 24 May 2002 10:10:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jin Guojun (DSD staff) <jin@gracie.lbl.gov>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   conf/38518: combination of pr-27087 and pr-36911 (2) make 4.6-RC2 installation very hard

>Number:         38518
>Category:       conf
>Synopsis:       combination of pr-27087 and pr-36911 (2) make 4.6-RC2 installation very hard
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Environment:

	FreeBSD 4.6-RC2 i386

	additional peripherals:
	video card
	NetGear 620 or SysKonnect GigE NIC
	3COM 509B 10BT NIC
	Symbios logic SCSI controller
	AC97 onboard sound card
	PS2 mouse

	pr-27087 causes GigE NIC not loaded. This has been fixed in current,
	but what not in 4.6?

	Since GigE cannot be used at this moment, ep0 (3COM 509B) has to be
	used. However, the only free irq is the 15 (ata1, which we do not use).
	But, pr-36911 (2) does not allow to disable ata1 at the boot time.

	At this point, this is no way to install 4.6 via NFS or FTP.

	If we just has one machine, we can deattach some peripherals and
	use different NIC. However, we have 30+ machines. changing or replacing
	all NICs is not a pleasure and possibly not a feasible task.

>How-To-Repeat:
	Have all above peripherals hooked, and test 4.6-RC2 installation
	floppies to install 4.6-RC2 via NFS ot FTP.
>Fix:

	Those should not be hard jobs. pr-27087 has been fixed in 5.0-CURRENT.
	Disabling ata1 was working 4.5 or earlier. What has been changed?
	If this is intentional change, it should be documented. But I disagree
	with such change -- why ata1 must be configured if it is not used?