Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2000 14:17:14 -0500
From:      Jim Graham <jim@n5ial.gnt.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ports/audio/gramofile:  need help with shmget and SEM* in kernel

First, I'll admit that I know virtually *NOTHING* about this.  An
RTFM as a response would be OK, but *PLEASE* tell me which FM to
look at.  :-)

I'm trying to get ports/audio/gramofile working, and have run into
some problems that I suspect are with my kernel config.  The best way
I know to ask what I'm doing wrong, in this case, is to tell you what
I did, and what went wrong...so here goes:

1) I built a kernel based on the GENERIC kernel, adding support for
   my sound card (Soundblaster PCI 128).  That works fine.

2) I built ports/audio/gramofile.  That worked fine for a while, but
   then suddenly stopped working---when I tried to record or play, I
   got a message along the lines of "shmget:  No space left on device".

3) I did some RTFMing on shmget, and looked in the source, and (without
   knowing what else to do), modified the #define for SEMMSL in
   /usr/ports/audio/gramofile/work/gramofile-1.6/bplaysrc/shmbuf.c
   (set it to '2' ... just to see if I could get it to work).

4) That *DID* work, in that it allowed me to record again, but after
   the recording was finished, and I hit STOP, the sytem locked up.
   I could telnet from another machine (the old Linux machine I'm
   sending this e-mail from---I still haven't moved a lot of functionality
   to my new FreeBSD machine yet), but only to the point where in.telnetd
   accepted the connection...I never got a login prompt.  Result:  I had
   to shut the system down the hard way.  Yuck.

5) After some searching in the freebsd-questions archives, I then built a
   new kernel using the SEM* options from the LINT kernel config, and
   modified SEMMSL to set it to 100 (I just copied the others verbatim).
   So far, this seems to have worked (I've recorded one side of one
   album---I'd gotten that far before, though).

My questions are:

   1) What caused it to stop working the first time?  Are there resources
      that are not being freed up here?

   2) Why did the system lock up (i.e., what did I do to kill it)?

   3) Am I likely to have fixed it?  Or have I just put a band-aid on
      a bigger problem that I don't know enough to recognize?

   4) As someone who is *NOT* experienced in this level of programming,
      is there something I can read that will help explain what I did
      wrong, and what I should have done?

Thanks,
   --jim

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)               MiSTie #49997        < Running FreeBSD 4.1.1 >
jim@n5ial.gnt.net || j.graham@ieee.org  ICBM / Hurricane: 30.39735N 86.60439W

          ===  Do not look into waveguide with remaining eye  ===