Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 1996 18:22:55 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, gclarkii@main.gbdata.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Subject:   Re: max math performance - how?

>Maybe we should go back to libm as the default and tell people that if they
>have either the GPL'ed MATH_EMU  --OR-- a real math-co then they should
>should compile libmsun with HAVE_FPU.

No, msun is slower than libm (in the !HAVE_FPU case) because it is more
correct.  The only reason to keep libm is that msun doesn't work on
machines that don't have IEEE floating point.  I was wrong saying that
msun is slower.  Many parts are faster because they use optimizations
that depend on IEEE format.  I guess only things like sin() for large
args are much slower (because they are more accurate).

Users shouldn't have to manage libraries.

>This brings up another joint subject.  Does GCC still use a dumb version
>of some math routines as default or has this changed?

This changed in gcc-2.6.3 or earlier a long time ago.

Bruce