Date:      Sat, 22 Nov 2014 15:19:00 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        "Mikhail T." <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        "ports@FreeBSD.org" <ports@freebsd.org>, portmgr-feedback@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Overly aggressive obsoleting of ports (Re: FreeBSD ports which are currently scheduled for deletion)

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 7:05 AM, Mikhail T. <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com>
wrote:

> The two examples below strike me as particularly aggressive. Speaking as
> someone working for a web-hosting group in a major company, I can tell
> authoritatively, that -- had we used FreeBSD over there -- we would've
> found having to upgrade this way unbearable.
>
> We use Red Hat, which emphasizes stability -- to a fault, I might add.
> But such whimsical dropping of software merely because it is
> "deprecated" (not broken, mind you) is not helping me advocate for
> FreeBSD. Not in the least...
>
> If, for example, somebody was planning to add a new FreeBSD-server on
> Dec 1st to their existing fleet, they are likely to reconsider it, if
> their current software suit uses db48. The obsoletion-warnings should be
> counted in /years/, not in months...
>
> I, for one, have just upgraded my own system from 9.x to 10.1. The
> freshly-rebuilt ports all use db48 -- perhaps, because that's what I had
> installed already. An attempt to remove db48, would remove 34 other
> ports along with it here:
> Deinstallation has been requested for the following 35 packages (of 0
> packages in the universe):
>
> Installed packages to be REMOVED:
>         db48-4.8.30.0_2
>         jackit-0.124.1 (depends on db48-4.8.30.0_2)
>         fluidsynth-1.1.6_1 (depends on db48-4.8.30.0_2)
>         openal-soft-1.16.0_1 (depends on db48-4.8.30.0_2)
>         ffmpeg-2.3.5_1,1 (depends on db48-4.8.30.0_2)
>         alsa-plugins-1.0.28 (depends on db48-4.8.30.0_2)
>         openjdk6-b25_1 (depends on db48-4.8.30.0_2)
>         thunderbird-31.2.0 (depends on db48-4.8.30.0_2)
>         polkit-kde-0.99.1_3 (depends on db48-4.8.30.0_2)
>         kcm-polkit-kde-0.0.20121008_3 (depends on db48-4.8.30.0_2)
>         kde-base-artwork-4.14.2 (depends on db48-4.8.30.0_2)
>
> No doubt, this can be rectified by yet another rebuild of everything --
> and there is, of course, a clever combination of portupgrade options to
> help achieve that (if nothing breaks). But I am rather resentful of
> having to do that /again/ so soon after the previous round. Had I not
> been a FreeBSD user and contributor of over 20 years already, I would've
> seriously considered a different offering over such nonsense.
>
>     -mi
>
> On 21.11.2014 03:28, linimon@FreeBSD.org wrote:
> > portname:           databases/db48
> > maintainer:         mandree@FreeBSD.org
> > deprecated because: Please migrate to db5 or db6
> > expiration date:    2014-11-30
> > build errors:       none.
> > overview:
> http://portsmon.FreeBSD.org/portoverview.py?category=databases&portname=db48
> >

> > portname:           databases/memcachedb
> > maintainer:         k@stereochro.me
> > deprecated because: Depends on deprecated Berkeley DB version, needs
> >                     porting to DB_SITE
> > expiration date:    2014-11-30
> > build errors:       none.
> > overview:
> http://portsmon.FreeBSD.org/portoverview.py?category=databases&portname=memcachedb

It's not like FreeBSD has a to of choice when the  BerkeleyDB folks have
dropped  db-4.8. It's been obsolete for a very long time. All (or most) of
the ports requiring a rebuild work fine with a modern versions. Most will
work with 4, 5, or 6. You just need to re-install them. The only one that
won't build with a supported version is audio/jack. (databases/memcachedb
also requires it, but I believe that that port was written specifically for
db4 and is not relevant for newer versions.)

I guess that you will need to keep cb48 installed until jackit is updated.
You might try editing Makefile to add a '+' at the end of "USE_BDB=   48"
and see if it works. I suspect that it was just overlooked. (I might try
that soon, but am in the middle of cleaning up my system and move from
gnome2 to MATE.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com