Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 20:13:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "m. w." <m_wall@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: plextor SCSI CDROM?

On Sat, 23 May 1998, m. w. wrote:

>      I was installing FreeBSD 2.2.6 after moving some partitions around
> on my drive today, and was apalled to find that when I tried to select
> which media to install from BSD would not read from the cd drive. It
> gives me a message saying that there is no CDROM drive found. I have a
> Gateway 2000 Pentium II machine with an Adaptec AHA-2940 SCSI controller
> and a Plextor 12x SCSI CDROM. Shouldn't BSD recognize any SCSI drives
> running off of a supported SCSI controller? I looked in the "hardware
> supported" list of the installation notes, and Plextor isn't listed
> under SCSI devices, but I just wanted to make sure... Any help you could
> give me would be greatly appreciated.

Hit scroll-lock at the main menu, scroll up to the ahc probe, and make
sure your CD is found.  If it isn't, check your termination and cabling.

>     Also, all of my previous OSes like Windoze 95 (gag) and NT 4.0 have
> seen my trusty Seagate 9.1 gig drive as being an 8676 Mbyte drive
> instead of 9.1 gigs like it's supposed to be. (So does FreeBSD on
> bootup!) Even BSD's Fdisk sees it as that. The geometry cannot be
> changed from the CMOS setup since it's not IDE, and I can't change it in
> the Adaptec bios either.

This is probably a misunderstanding about the size of the drive.  Note
that 9.1gig is in decimal and computers measure bytes in binary, 1,000,000
decimal bytes == 1,048,576 real bytes.  8676MB sounds about right.  This
is intentional marketing foolry by the drive manufacturers :-(

>     Like I said, any help or advice or whatever you could give me would
> be great. I'd be bummed if I had to stick with Win NT, cuz I kinda
> wanted both NT _and_ BSD on my machine. Oh, would it make a difference
> if I booted from the floppy instead of the CDROM to install?

No.  I guess that your CD is misterminated.